Wednesday, October 24, 2012

5th anniversary

 
 
Last weekend was our 5th Anniversary.  Chris got me the best present ever. 
I thought I would share it with the world because it was truly the best present ever, but first you need to know a little inside joke we have had for a while. 
You see, Chris has teased me for the last five years that he is going to refinance our marriage at year five, you know, because we would surely be tired of each other by then and would want newer, fresher spouses.  I guess to most people that sounds a little callous, but it was genuinely funny to us because we both knew that the sun and earth are more likely to collide tomorrow at 12 pm than Chris and I break up. 
 
So, our 5th anniversary came rolling around and Chris hands me an envelope.  'Here's your present' and I then proceeded to read the enclosed which went as follows:
 
Certificate of Commitment
United States Department of Ridiculous Agreements (USDRA)
 
Beginning on this the 20th day of October, 2007 the undersigned hereby agrees to love, dote upon and care for the individual pictured in the attached document for a period of forever, with an optional refinancing at 5 years.  The undersigned will agree to teas,tickle, and otherwise annoy the pictured individual in a manner becoming of his adoration of said individual.  In return, the individual will agree to love, adore and comfort (as well as control the bedtime of) the undersigned as needed throughout the duration of this contract.
 
Below was Chris's signature on an appropriately government document line along with his name written out in print (it was official after all) with a print of the below picture attached.
 
 
 
Then there was another form and picture behind the above described one:
 
Certificate of Forfeiture of Refinancing Rights
United States Department of Even More Ridiculous Agreements
(formally the Department of Ridiculous Agreements)
 
The undersigned hereby forfeits all rights to refinance the attached Certificate of Commitment. The Undersigned will describe the reason for this decision in the area denoted as "notes" below.  Let it be noted that such a certificate has never been heretofore produced by the USDEMRC and that the undersigned agreeing to such a forfeiture must, therefore, be married to the best wife in the world.
 
Notes: (the following was in Chris's hand writing on another series of bureaucratically provided lines)
Sarah, you are the love of my life.  Thank you for the best five years of my life.  When we were married, you were exactly the person my 27 year old self needed.  I think  you worry that I miss that girl.  Sarah, believe me when I tell you that you are today exactly the girl my 32-year-old self needs.  You take such good care for the most important parts of my life: You, Lyra, Parker, Eathen, and Esther.  Let me renew my commitment after 5 beautiful years that you were, you are and you will always be the woman of my dreams.  I eagerly look forward to having you for the next five years, and the forever after that.
 
Followed were, again, the signature and carefully printed name.
 
 
Yeah, I cried.  He still loves me.  And I love him. 

1 comment: