Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Parker stories




I feel like I did a quick blog with a bunch of Lyra all over it, so I thought I would do the same for Parker.  Unfortunately he is not as camera friendly as Lyra, so I will do a bunch of stories.
I took the kids to a small park and they were having a jolly time.  At one point Lyra was at the top of a slide and Parker tottered over to the base.  Holding out his arms he called 'catch you!' to Lyra.  Lyra with full confidence in her tiny brother took off down the slide into his waiting arms.  She skidded to a halt three inches from the end of the slide and Parker, still with arms outstreached, waited for a moment, then patted his sister on the head, took her hand and helped her off the edge of the slide.  Parker loves his sister.
We had Chris's boss, Veronica, over for dinner the other night.  We had settled down to eat and Chris gave me a look that said 'uh, let's not do a prayer in front of the boss.'  So we all dug in.  All of us except, that is, Parker.  He looked from one eating adult to the next, so confused.  He looked at me with his little toddler arms folded ignoring our prompts to eat.  We prompted him again 'eat, little man.'  But he just sat there, waiting for the prayer.  Finally I turned to Veronica, just a little embarrassed, 'Veronica, I am so sorry, do you mind if we say a prayer.  I don't think Parker will eat unless we do.'  She was embarrassed that she had begun to eat already, even though we all had.  Oddly enough the confusion broke the ice very well and, after the prayer, we then went on to have a very comfortable conversation.  Parker took two bites and toddled off to play.  I think he was just there to remind us all how to behave.  I should have insisted on a prayer from the start.  Thank you Parker for being such a good example.

2 comments:

  1. NO WAY!!!! I needed a shirt just like that for Halloween. I was Clark Kent but nobody could tell because I didn't have an awesome superman shirt underneath. Parker is one lucky dude. Every man needs a superman shirt.

    ReplyDelete