Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Explanation

So I wrote up the last two posts and realized how strange they might look.

I feel like there are some really good parenting books out there and I have been lucky enough to run across some.  But it is hard to get to their message through all the posing and judging and insulting examples of Jane the baby wise parent has an awesome baby because they follow these guidelines.  Fran's baby is a lost cause because she didn't use our methods.  I get it; by the time you are writing a book you feel pretty extreme about some of your methods.  It seems they feel that anyone who does not agree is ensuring their children end up as juvenile delinquents.  Jails are full, but not that full, folks.

To help some of us, my sister put together a marcopolo group where we go over the best of a few fantastic books.  We do our best to ignore the asinine examples and implement the principles and ideas in them and then talk it over to see if we think we are getting it right and/or if it is working.

I have been writing out some of the 'homework' that is coming out of the reading, so that I can track some of our Progress.  Anyway, that is what that is all about.  Maybe some day I will actually write out some of my embarrassing and adorable successes and failures with this.  But I feel like business first.

Some of the books we have been drawing from are:

 Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood: Practical Parenting from Birth to Six Years by Charels and Jim Fay
Easy to love, Difficult to Discipline by Becky A Bailey, Ph.D
Parent Talk: Words that Empower, Words that Wound by Chick Moorman.

And hopefully in the future add in

Raising An Emotionally Intelligent Child: The Heart of Parenting by  John Gottman Ph. D.


No comments:

Post a Comment